Saturday, July 25, 2009

A sweet little treat


Well if you didn't know it before (most of you do know), I LOVE food. And not even that in itself, I tend to have this fascination with cooking shows and recipes, and gadgets. I tear them out, download them, and ooh and awe over them in Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or better yet-Sur la Table. I'm always so intrigued by what latest recipe may be in the magazine at the checkout stand or better yet, on Food Network that afternoon. I have a few of my fav shows that I have been very loyal to this summer while doing nothing ( another yeah right, ha ha). Yes, I admit I'm not too particular when it comes to food but I have a horrible sweet tooth. I just can't stay away. I'm totally and utterly addicted to the sweets. Mostly any will do, but the ones that tend to be in the form of cakes, cookies, brownies, .... are you seeing the pattern yet? While I love me some candy too, it doesn't hold a candle against anything that may involve being moist and fresh out of the oven. Who's with me? Maybe not, some of you are "salty" people. I'm with ya there too, but sugar holds a special place with me. Always has.

So...while watching one of my favorite celebrity chefs, she had these muffins she was making and I just had to try them out. I was sooo glad I did. I LOVE them! They have become a new favorite, over cinnamon or blueberry. I'm going to share it with you because I think these little babies are so great. By the way, I've made them twice in the last week and they didn't last long. I wasn't the only one who ate them all either. Ok, here we go:

Banana Marscapone Cream Cheese Muffins:

Muffins:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon
baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon
ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon
vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas, peeled and coarsely mashed


Frosting:
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted


Directions
Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl to blend. Beat the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the banana. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.

Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake the muffins on the middle rack until the tops are golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out with no crumbs attached, about 25 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a rack and cool slightly. The muffins may be eaten warm or cooled completely and frosted.

To frost the cupcakes: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the mascarpone cheese and then beat in the honey. Spread the frosting over the muffins. Sprinkle with the walnuts.

**These are really easy and probably will become something frequented in this house. I'm not a huge banana eater. I love banana bread but not so much the banana by itself. Something else I can tell you...I wasn't familiar with the marscapone cc before this but I found it in the section of my grocery store where they keep all the different cheeses- not by the sandwich cheese. It's usually in a small container, like regular cream cheese, but you may not find it near the dairy.

Make them if you have time and let me know what you thought!

No comments: