Monday, March 15, 2010

rodeo

Saturday afternoon we took the kids and my mom to the rodeo- the kids had never been and now that they are getting older and able to understand more things, Brian got us all tickets to Blake Shelton. We spent a couple hours walking through the arena with the kids and made a long stop at the petting zoo where I think we all had a good time.

We paid a small price for the feed, which they give you in ice cream cones, and send you on your way. Well...nobody tells you those goats and llamas practically chase you down for that feed. The signs I remember reading said these are docile & cud chewing animals so they are calm and relatively clean. Great!! We were busy chasing kids and making sure we didn't lose them and I got some practice refining my skills of not getting trampled by hungry animals. They mostly just followed you until you gave them something, but I had many climb up onto my lap just desperate to get a bite.

Thank you to this nice llama for being somewhat polite- until I turned my head and he bit off half of my cone. That was the end of his turn and onto someone else. Thankfully he didn't spit on me either ( which they do tend to do over food).

The goats were much sweeter (some of them- namely the bigger ones...the smaller ones were desperate to get a bite) who let Riley get a hold of him.



This is what happens when all your feed is annihilated and you need a refill in your cone. Just a quarter and a turn of the machine is what you need, until the goats heard the turn of the machine and it was like a kid in a candy store! There is no waiting patiently- they came over to stick their tongues up the gumball slot and lick away half of your "refill" before you even get it out of the chute! It took me about 3 times just to get enough to refill our cones. And then I was out of quarters, butmaybe that was a good thing. We were dying laughing, this really was very funny. ( See the hand? That was my mom...she was the lucky one who got licked and slobbered on). Hee hee.




One of the "puppy ogs" that Cole found. His knowledge about animals is pretty simple: the goats, sheep, llamas, and pigs were all "puppy ogs" and bigger animals like a horse, a cow, and maybe the donkey were all "moo's".
We did take the kids to see the grand champion steer and Cole wanting nothing to do with him. He stood there, made some "moo's", but would not come near him. No way. I guess he thought having his conversation with the steer from a few steps back was good enough.


We made sure to get the kids a good rodeo dinner: french fries, funnel cakes, dippin dots, and oh yeah, more ice cream, which is what these "hats" were for. They were actually ice cream bowls. Don't worry, there was a hot dog in there too somewhere.









No comments: