Monday, March 1, 2010

My Daddy...

Most of you know my dad lost his battle with cholangiocarcinoma on Friday. Losing a parent is by far the hardest thing I have ever experienced, but he fought a really brave battle and slipped into the arms of Jesus very peacefully. And for that, I am so thankful that he is no longer suffering and is now set free. I know that he is up there in Heaven shining down on us and will get to see us all the time in his perfect form. So while I struggle with maybe not seeing him for decades, I know it will seem like moments to him.

Thank you dad for instilling in me a love of the outdoors- hunting and fishing- and for making that our special thing. Let me just say too that this man was a PHENOMENAL bbq-er. No lie...he could smoke some of the best ribs. (This is no small exaggeration when I say this, I think it was his calling and he missed it.) But I find some peace in knowing he is up there in Heaven chasing hogs, catching fish, and eating some good ole grub, laughing and loving being with all those who have gone before him. I will forever miss him and his stubborn ways...

I can't write too much without crying buckets (just when you think the well is dry, it fills up again!) so I will leave you with a few of my favorites from childhood- these are some that I will always cherish:


My uncle took this picture at the deer lease when I was probably about 6- it is my favorite and I think was my dad's too. He had it framed next to his bed until the very end...
This is one of the best I have of my parents & I.






I received one of the sweetest cards today that made losing him a little easier:

" Perhaps they are not the stars
...but rather openings in Heaven,
where the love of our lost ones...
pours through and shines down
to let us know they are still with us."


Frank L. Thayer
11.28.49-2.26.10

I will forever miss you.




6 comments:

Tara Powell said...

praying for you Lauren. Please let me know if you need anything.

misty w. said...

lauren, that was a sweet tribute to your daddy. i'm sorry you're having to go through this. so thankful for the assurance you have that he is with JESUS. i love you.
misty:)

Rusty and Jennifer said...

Lauren,

I am so sorry for your loss.

I will continue to pray for you and your sweet family.

Taylor and Lindsey said...

Lauren, that was so sweet and I love the pictures. Like I said the other day, each day will get better and easier. Love you lots.

The Reim's said...

Lauren, We're so sorry that you lost your Dad so soon, but so thankful for the last year that you had him with you! We're also thankful that you KNOW that you will see him again. We love ya'll, P & M

Lana said...

Lauren,
Love your post.Those pics you have with your dad are so special. Again, so sorry about your loss.
love you, (hugs)
Lana