Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Inks Lake, part I

This last week was the annual family get together in the hill country for Brian's family. Ever since all the kids (I say kids, but I mean Brian and all his 100 cousins that are now grown) were little, they've been vacationing to Inks Lake every summer. We try to go every summer and join in on the fun, sun, and family time so we took off last Wed. and spent 5 days. Most everyone made it and it was a great time for us to spend time together. I had never even heard of Inks Lake until I met his family. It's nestled in the hill country, surrounded by the mountains, and their campsites are usually straight across from Camp Longhorn.



We all had a great time even though the weather wasn't stellar everyday. There were quite a few times when all of us were soaked. Brian ended up not coming on Fri as planned but staying here since the forecasts were so grim. And just like with any forecast, sometimes its right, most of the time its wrong when it comes to rain. It rained on and off Thursday and soaked us on Friday. Luckily, against the weather predictions, it cleared out by Sat. and was that gorgeous hill country weather we love.



The kids played so hard- I knew the naps weren't going to happen- so I didn't even try on vacation. I don't know how they did it but they played hard all day long and went to bed much later than normal and still managed to stay sane. And so did this momma.



These are a start to the gazillion pics everyone took:





Reese and Riley



Gorgeous sunset Wed. evening after the rain...


These two were inseperable when together...




My Roo Bug and Jeep





This is the norm at Brian's gp's house. We stayed at their house and the deer are so tame they come right up and eat corn out of your hands (well, ok, some were brave enough. Most just looked at me wondering who I was because I look nothing like Papa who feeds them all the time) The reality is I lured one in with a fruit snack and they all came over when the saw I had corn. This is what we call welfare deer. They would've have continued to eat as long as I was willing to feed them. Ha.


Greedy thing, this one was. I was trying to be fair and feed everyone.



I know my dad was probably smiling down or maybe he was shaking his head in disbelief that I had them eating out of my hands. He never would've believed me if I had told him.

Sat. night we loaded up in the car and headed to the bridge over Inks to watch some of the fireworks going off. We caught a free show from some residents who had an arsenal on their boat dock. No pics of the fireworks...pics through a fence doesn't look so good.


More pics to come later....











1 comment:

Dana (aka Mimi) said...

You and Neika really got some great pictures! Family time is so awesome and I'm so glad you are finding it important to have family time and let the cousins share this special time growing up. Come visit any time!! Love yall~ Aunt Dani