Monday, June 7, 2010

a small success...


This is what happens when your hubby goes night fishing...they came home with a cooler full of 13 catfish...

Andrew and his little girl, Molly. So cute...reminds me of some pics I have with my dad...







Cole wasn't so sure at first but made friends with the fish real fast and then tried carrying them around-not bothered at all by their slippery-ness.
So these "fishies" as Cole would say are all fileted (?) in my freezer. Have you ever noticed how you can associate a smell with a taste? Well to me, catfish taste like potting soil smells. I like eating catfish...not because I enjoy my food tasting like dirt, but because they actually can be worthwhile as long as they are fried. And then made into some yummy fish tacos. I can't do them any other way.


He and Andrew left for Conroe Sat. night after dinner and came home in the wee hours of the morning. Andrew says his were the big ones! Good logic if you ask me. I know they had a great time getting away for a while, doing their "guy thing", and doing what I know they both love doing. And they are both really good fishermen. I realized at about 2 AM that Brian wasn't home, so I got concerned, I called and they were just pulling the boat out of the water! I should've known. So I rolled back over and at about 3 AM he made it home. Ha.

I say it's a small success because there have been many times when the fishing trips have resulted in 60-70 catfish that were caught. No, I am not kidding or making up one of those fishing stories where you hear something much more exaggerated than the actual truth. I was there, I can vouch for it...even though it was many years ago ( ok, 6 or 7). I can also tell you that when Brian goes fishing, he always catches something, if not everything. (Not kidding on that one either).

He usually outfishes everyone, much to our dismay and discontent. He's got a knack for fishing and I have no idea how it happens- I figure they just like his pole better than mine (or anyone else that's with him). We can do all the same things he does, use the same bait or lure, throw to the same spot, trade reels, and wham! They will bite his and not ours. It can be so frustrating, especially if you like fishing like I do. I know how to cast, I know how to throw, I've been fishing a time or two in my life. The man has a knack for it. He has seriously wanted to enter some fishing tournaments and with his knack for catching fish, I wish he would/could. He could be the next Mike Iaconelli if he had the ability to do this ALL the time. That would be his dream...to be a professional bass fishermen, but he'd probably take anything if it meant time out on the water and getting his pole wet.

















No comments: