Sunday, June 13, 2010

our 1st week of summer....

Our 1st week of summer was a success! We were quite busy so I tried to get pictures of most of it. The kids started Mother's Day Out on Thursdays and they love it. Cole adjusted really well and I haven't gotten any reports of screaming fits and crying for mommy. I wasn't too sure how he'd do at first but he settled in just fine. Phew! Riley comes home singing new songs she learned and can actually tell me some of what she made or did that day. I am trying to save most of the things she makes in SS or MDO for keepsakes.




We went to the park on Tuesday and Wednesday! They love feeding the ducks, which practically chase you down for food. As soon as you pull up they are swimming across the lake to see what you have to offer. They know what it means when people show up and trying to teach a toddler to use small pieces is a skill. I should say trying to get him to understand why its better to use small pieces is why it's so hard. He would rather just chunk the whole thing and then come looking for more.
We got quite a bit of time in on Tue before the skies let loose and we got soaked. Riley took off running for the car and Cole and I weren't far behind as he was screaming, "rain, rain!" and laughing his little head off. I had to laugh myself. We were all soaked but it was so much fun.

They played so hard at the park that they crashed all afternoon!



















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This little kid is so funny ( and frustrating) because he goes through phases where he doesn't want to stay in his bed. Usually it's not a struggle but on this day he would NOT stay in his room at naptime. He's in the stage where he is trying to talk alot and can't really get it to make sense so I had no idea what he wanted. He kept repeating the same thing, over and over. I was clueless. (I'd be frustrated too if I was him...trying to say what he wants and not understanding why nobody understands and can get you what you want). He kept trying to come out of his room...(the frustrating part). I finally just went downstairs, kept the tv off, and went to do something else besides battle him.
I found him crashed out in his chair in the living room. He slept for 3 hours sideways like this...I finally figured out later that he wanted his nap mat ( which wasn't here that afternoon) and he figured the chair would have to do. He slept great that night after getting his nap mat back from Nee nee's house.




He's been fighting sleep in general some this week- even at bedtime. Maybe it's the whole change in routine with mom being home and not on his normal schedule. I have no clue.
He went 90 to nothing last night (no nap again yesterday afternoon except his power nap in the car) and
crashed in my arms. At 10:30. Yes, we tried to get him to bed at 8:45. He wasn't having it. If there is one thing I have learned, it's to pick your battles. Thankfully this isn't all the time or you can bet I would have gone looney by now.
















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Friday we went to a birthday party and the kids had a blast with water balloons, slides, and cupcakes!


They had a blast and I figured they would crash afterwards when we went home. They played for two hours in the water, in the heat, running, jumping, and wearing themselves out. You'd think that would give way to a long nap. Nope. Cole crashed on the 10 min car ride home and that was all it took to wind him back up for the rest of the afternoon.


I have no idea where all this energy comes from. I was pooped and wanted to take a nap myself...no such luck on this day.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



We've done some easy updates to our backyard in the last few weeks- I always love when spring and summer arrive because I have always wanted to have flowers everywhere around the pool. There's just one catch...I have a black thumb. It's got a tinge of green but that's about it. So of course me having flowers means that they can withstand my black thumb and forgetfulness to water.














I am loving the fact that I haven't killed ANY yet and they are actually growing. That's a 1st!

Brian got me the hibiscus as a surprise and potted it for me...I love the hybrid blooms.













Yesterday we got some more flowers...once I realized I'm doing ok with the others and seeing progross, I wanted MORE.

I LOVE agapanthus...so I was super happy when I saw these and how tall they were! I could have them everywhere.



I was hoping for some Lantana by the pool being that its drought tolerant (meaning my lack of watering) and wound up with these tropical beauties instead. They are Ixora.










































1 comment:

Lana said...

I'm just blog hopping...

The flowers are beautiful! I just posted some of as my hubs call them "weeds" last night. I just love the blooms. Gorgeous!

Blessings to you,
lana @ ilovemy5kids