Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Woodlands Triathalon

This past Saturday was one I will not soon forget! Now, before you get all excited that I did the triathalon, let me burst your bubble and tell you it wasn't me...no way! You would have to carry me out on a stretcher. Ha. It was my awesome husband, who I am so proud of! He swam 500 m, biked for 15 mi, then ran 3.1 mi. So you can bet I am going to brag on him...

Let me tell you that he has trained so hard for this. What is even more awesome is that a group of 17 of his co-workers also did it. I have no idea how the "bug" got started with this whole triathalon in his office, but they all signed up and stuck to it. He works out on a pretty regular basis as it is with some of the other guys in his office but they really trained hard- getting up early before work to go to spin class twice a week ( at 5 AM), working out on his lunch hour swimming, running, etc. that right there takes dedication, not to mention actually doing the triathalon and surviving the mental aspect of it.

He made a huge accomplishment! We drove to the Woodlands Friday night, dropped off the bike at security, went out to dinner and headed home because it was going to be an early morning. Brian left the house with one of his co-workers around 4:30 am on Sat and I followed suit about an hour later. Can you believe I got my butt out of bed at 5 AM? That's true love! But I guess when getting up that early serves a good purpose, you don't mind it so much.








We got there about 6:45ish and found Brian and got situated because his age group started at 7:08. The sun wasn't even hardly up. I wonder what he was thinking?



They swam first and I lost his head early on- looked like a bunch of blue heads in the water and once they all took off that was it. I had no idea which one he was. You had to just hope to get a spot by the boat ramp where they came out. So I waited and waited...and waited. I thought for sure I had missed him and was getting really bummed when we spotted him... without his cap, making his way out to the transition area to bike. He thinks he didn't do so good on the swim ( his legs cramped up early on and he says the yellow caps tried to drown him- some of those men were aggressive) but just to do that in open water is something- my arms would have been limp spaghetti noodles.




He had to transition from the swim to the bike and didn't have much time to waste- every second counts and so he was off and gone with just enough time to cheer him on before he was off again....




Waiting for her daddy...



His mom was able to stand out on the road and get some other shots of him too. This was right before he came in.

We stood at the area where they finish their bike ride and are coming back in for the transition to the run and I have never been so thankful for double arm tattoos! They all blend in together with their shirts off, black helmets, black shorts. I had no idea if he had his shirt on or not so I was looking for anything familiar. I knew I loved those tattoos. ;)













When I saw him coming through the finish line, I got butterflies in my stomach. The announcer was giving recognition to just about every participant who came through the finish and when I heard his name I wanted to cry. I was one proud wife. He did this in just about 2 hours. Not bad if you ask me.
Now if you had asked him on Saturday (which I did) if he wanted another go round of it next year, he would have told you " I think I am one and done!"

He came home and slept for 3 hours to re-coup. Not that I blame him. He says he's going to do it again next year and he's already been back in the pool this week, determined to do better next time.
I can't wait for this next year! I really enjoyed watching this...I admire all of them for completing a triathalon. The oldest triathlete was 75 and the youngest, an 11 yr. old girl!!
WOW!

3 comments:

Ashley McWhorter said...

That is awesome! I know how proud you must be of Brian! He needs to hook up with Conn and maybe do one together. :)

michelle said...

sheesh; Im impressed! Way to go!

Lana said...

Go Brian!!! I am one proud cuz!!!