Sunday, September 21, 2008

thanking our lucky stars...

Last night as we were coming home from a friend's house, we realized how many around us still don't have power. Ours was returned to us Monday afternoon, after finishing our yard work. We were standing outside talking to the neighbor and the A/C kicked on. Our poor neighbors across the street still don't have it- along with the rest of the neighborhood. As we drove in last night towards our house, every street is pitch black- so unusual not to be able to see anything. The only ones that have power in our neighborhood is our side of the street, the side behind ours (but not that entire street) and the street perpendicular to ours- that's it. So we apparently must all be on the same transformer because when ours goes out, so does theirs. And I'm sure all those who live around us are becoming more and more impatient as they see our houses all lit up. I know I would be on my last nerve if I was one of them.

My poor in-laws still dont have power OR water. They have neither. The county keeps coming by to bring them water. Centerpoint tells them they may have power by late Monday, MAYBE, and as for water, who knows.

My zipcode, 77070, apparently got hit pretty hard and therefore, is the reason most of us still dont have power- many of the surrounding neighborhoods don't either. Centerpoint's schedule they posted online says that our zipcode should be restored after 9/22. That's after people...and the rumor is next Thursday or Friday!! So as I get to sleep in cool air and wash my clothes and take hot showers, I am so thankful that we have power- especially with Cole and Riley. Otherwise, we may very well still be camped out at my mom's house in Katy.

In the meantime, I think I need to walk across the street and offer up our washing machine and dryer- I am starting to feel a little guilty for having these necessities, while these people with kids are sleeping with windows open and running generators. I can only imagine how expensive that is getting.

1 comment:

Tara Powell said...

wow...I would be jealous if I was your neighbor! That is nice of you to offer your home to your neighbors, though!